TIPS AND TRICKS TO BRIGHTEN DULL SKIN
Though often associated with dry skin, dulled complexions can occur to all skin types. A sign of skin stress, causes of dull skin can be external, like UV radiation, or behavioural, like improper skincare application. Dull skin can cause changes in skin texture and appearance, such as roughened, dry-feeling skin and a muted, ashy look. Thankfully, it’s easy to regain skin radiance by implementing a simple, brightening skincare routine. Ahead, see how to brighten skin experiencing the above issues with skincare and lifestyle shifts, and how to keep glowing complexions in place.
What is brightening skincare?
Dulled complexions can indicate dead skin cells on the surface layer and skin dryness. To promote clarified skin texture and increase complexion’s light reflectiveness, skin brightening products work to resurface fresh skin, address skin stress and boost hydration. Lancôme’s brightening skincare includes the following moisturising and radiance-giving ingredients:
- Vitamin C: One of the most powerful tools in skin brightening. Vitamin C is an antioxidant, which means that it addresses cell stress caused by external factors like UV and pollution. It can also assist in reducing the appearance of dark spots, which encourages a brightened and uniform skin tone.
- Hyaluronic acid: A humectant with powerful hydrating abilities. Hyaluronic acid is able to draw moisture into skin and retain it, improving skin water content and plumping texture.
- Salicylic acid: A beta-hydroxy acid (BHA) exfoliant. Salicylic acid works to lift and clear dead skin cells from skin. This surfaces fresh skin, encouraging a youthful and glowing complexion.
How to brighten dull skin
Skin brightening products work together in a routine to renew and rebalance. You don’t need a multitude of products and steps to encourage natural radiance and strength in skin. For how to brighten skin effectively and lastingly, a tailored and supportive routine is recommended. This routine is also universal – meaning no matter your skin type, you can benefit from the below steps!
1. Cleanse twice daily
Skin is faced with stress-inducing properties everyday (and every night!). During the day, bacteria, dust, debris and pollution can settle and absorb into skin. While we sleep, excess oil and bacteria can build up and imbalance skin’s harmony, leading to dulled skin. To purify and brighten skin, cleanse as the first step in both your morning and evening routines. Skin brightening Clarifique Cleansing Foam is suitable for all skin types. The formula gently refines skin texture whilst brightening tone with salicylic acid and French beech bud extract.
2. Use a brightening serum
Skin is made up of layers which together work to retain moisture content and other helpful properties. However, everyday skin stress like UV rays and pollution can affect the strength of skin’s layers, leading to a dull complexion. To protect skin from these factors and visibly improve dullness, this we recommend adding a brightening and hydrating serum to your routine.
Serums are one of the most efficacious steps in reimplementing skin strength because they can access multiple layers of skin. Lancôme’s #1 anti-ageing and brightening skincare serum Advanced Génifique is suitable for all skin types. Vitamin C, hyaluronic acid and bifidus prebiotic fractions are combined to rebalance, nourish and protect skin for a healthy glow.
3. Keep skin hydrated
Optimal skin moisture is important to radiant complexions, but everyday stress can impact healthy moisture levels. Moisturisers support hydration throughout the day and while we sleep, which encourages skin moisture barrier strength and promotes glowing complexions. To address dullness, skin brightening Hydra Zen Anti-Stress Gel Day Cream is enriched with moringa seed extract, rose extract and peony root extract. These botanicals promote the improved appearance of stressed skin to encourage radiance and hydration. For added anti-ageing benefits, we recommend opting for a firming formula like Rénergie Multi-Lift Ultra Cream. Alongside hydration support, the inclusion of linen extract helps to encourage skin elasticity.
4. Wear SPF every day
In Australia we especially face high daily stress from UV radiation. One of the best skin brightening products in your routine is SPF. To retain radiance and protect hydration levels alongside skin strength, daily use is recommended. UV Expert BB Cream Complete SPF 50+ provides added makeup benefits – promoting a brighter, translucent and even complexion. Broad-spectrum SPF protects skin against UVA, UVB, long UVA and urban pollution.1
1Anti-adhesion of pollution particles.
Other skin brightening tips
This pared-back, brightening skincare regime can be used alongside healthy lifestyle shifts. Skincare is a holistic approach – for a consistently radiant, hydrated and bouncy complexion, implement these tips into your daily life:
- Exfoliate properly. Exfoliating skincare products can assist in clearing away dead skin and brightening complexions. However, improper application can add to skin stress, so always follow product directions for use. Rose Sorbet Cryo-Mask includes exfoliating ingredient salicylic acid whilst helping to increase hydration.
- Always remove makeup at the end of your day. This allows skin to rest, especially sensitive areas like around the eyes. Bi-Facil Eye Makeup Remover provides instant gentle cleansing to support this thin area of skin.
- Keep a healthy diet and set a proper sleep routine. Lifestyle habits like these support radiant skin. Nutrient-rich diets and a supportive sleep schedule can help skin look energised and healthy.
Liked this article? Keep reading to discover the benefits of facial essence and how to implement them.