TIPS ON HOW TO FIRM AND TIGHTEN SKIN
Loose skin can be caused by lifestyle choices, skincare, and age. Explore the causes, prevention, and product options available to tighten skin. Read here.
The texture and elasticity of complexions are influenced by a range of factors – external, internal and behavioural. How we treat our skin throughout adulthood plays a huge part in determining the look and feel of it later on in life – but mature aged skincare can also help to improve texture once we’ve reached that stage.
Efficacious formulas like skin tightening cream, firming eye cream and other products to tighten skin can be implemented into skincare routines at any age, supporting how skin develops with gentle and effective ingredients.
Whether you’re wondering how to tighten skin or looking to begin including anti-ageing steps into your routine, there are helpful guidelines to make sure the application you use is the most supportive for your skin type. Ahead, we’ve compiled tips for how to firm skin, and how to find a product that works best for you and your skin goals.
What causes loose skin?
As your skin ages it loses two important proteins produced in the layer of tissue under the epidermis – elastin and collagen. Elastin helps skin texture to snap back into place, whilst collagen keeps your skin firm and taut. Anti-ageing products like skin tightening cream help to reinstate proteins like collagen back into skin. Aside from the natural process of ageing, other causes you may not be aware of include:
- Weight loss: a common reason for loose skin, particularly if this change occurs after an extended period. It also makes it harder for your skin to recover elasticity once you have lost weight, particularly if you lose the weight quickly.
- Pregnancy: can cause loose skin around the stomach, and those who carry twins or triplets may have more dramatic changes to their skin. However, skin tends to bounce back if you use products to tighten skin during pregnancy.
- Smoking: has been linked to loose, wrinkled skin, as the nicotine contained in cigarettes narrows the blood vessels in the outermost layers of your skin, preventing oxygen and nutrients from reaching your skin cells.
Ingredients that work to tighten skin
Next generation skincare is able to address skin sagging, fine lines and wrinkles through the use of highly efficacious ingredients. Skin tightening cream like firming eye cream utilise skin-boosting formulas which work to protect from external stressors and encourage youthful regeneration internally. The most supportive ingredients for how to tighten loose skin are below.
Retinol is present in many anti-aging products and is an especially potent ingredient. A synthetic derivative of vitamin A, retinol has the unique ability to even skin tone and minimise the signs of ageing by increasing collagen production in the skin – a lack of which causes skin sagging.
When considering how to tighten neck skin and other already apparent sagging, retinol is an ideal ingredient. Being such a powerful skincare ingredient, retinol reduces instances of loose skin while simultaneously. protecting skin against future changes.
Hyaluronic acid is another combatant of loose skin, being a naturally occurring substance in the body, particularly in connective tissues. However, as we begin to age, natural hyaluronic acid levels in the body begin to drop.
Reimplemented through firming face cream such as Rénergie Multi-Lift Ultra Full Spectrum, this ingredient targets a full spectrum of signs of aging (regardless of your age!), improving your skin’s elasticity and correcting dark spots. It’s also deeply hydrating – which tackles a major contributor to earl ageing in skin.
Caffeine does more than just perk you up in the morning! When applied to skincare products, caffeine can reduce wrinkles, brighten skin, and calm inflammation. There is also evidence which suggests that green coffee bean oil can help aid in collagen and elastin production due to the amino acids it contains.
Caffeine is often included in firming cream for the eyes, including Rénergie Multi-Lift Ultra Eye Cream, which lifts sag, fills in wrinkles, and brightens dark circles under eyes.
Skin firming routine and products
For how to tighten skin the right way, it’s important to follow a thorough routine. Products to tighten skin go in the following order:
- To improve the appearance of loose skin and wrinkles, start with a gentle cleanser. Gel Eclat Clarifying Cleanser Pearly Foam liberates the skin from impurities and toxins and prepares the skin for the rest of the routine.
- Next, apply a skin-tightening cream such as Rénergie Multi-Lift Ultra Cream. The intelligent formulation targets all signs of ageing, regardless of the stage you are at.
- For how to tighten neck skin, use overnight firming mask Rénergie Multi-Lift Tightening Lifting Mask. The rich formula contains more than 17% beeswax and carnauba wax, which nourishes skin with moisture and helps to improve elasticity while tightening and firming. Skin on the jawline looks refined and feels firmer as if lifted.
Finally, address your eye area with a firming eye cream – an absolute essential in any firming skin routine. Rénergie Classic Eye Cream is an anti-wrinkle eye cream, specifically formulated for use around the delicate area. This ultra-light eye treatment cream enhances hydration as it helps reduce the look of wrinkles, dark circles, and bags under eyes.
To improve the appearance of loose skin and wrinkles, turn to Lancôme’s ultimate weapon against sagging skin: the Rénergie range.